Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Spirituality Theme of the Month: Islam in Contemporary Culture

This month, I am reading about Islam in contemporary culture. I am a protestant Christian, however I serve as an interfaith chaplain, so I try to be as inclusive, diverse and educated about as many prominent spiritual traditions as I can. During this time, which from September 13- October 12th this year is the holy month of Ramadan, I hope to read and learn as much as I can about Islam and its place in contemporary culture in the western world today.

Here are some of the books I have read recently or will be reading about Islam:

Islam- by Karen Armstrong

No God But God- by Reza Aslan

The Shia Revival- Seyyed Vali Nasr

American Islam: The Struggle for the Soul of a Religion- Paul M. Barrett

Western Muslims and the Future of Islam- Tariq Ramadan

Mecca and Main Street- Geneive Abdo

A Season in Mecca: Narrative of a Pilgrimmage- Abdellah Hammoudi

In the Footsteps of the Prophet- Tariq Ramadan

The Place of Tolerance in Islam- Khaled Abou El Fadl

Infidel- Hirsi Ali Ayaan


I have read all or part of five of these books so far... I will chime in again with some reflections and reviews as I get a bit further along with my reading on this topic.

Peace,

John

1 comment:

khany said...

hello John,

i wish you happy reading.
as a muslim i have the following suggestion to offer. i think the first book you should read is the quran (in english translation if you are not familiar with arabic). i am sure you will appreciate that it is the primary text the rest of the books will attempt to explain.

i also find that the authors you choose are all of a 'modern' bent. which is not to say they have nothing valuable to say. but i think you will benefit from reading more traditional accounts which reflect how muslims in traditional societies see their religion. in this regard you may wish to read 'mohammad: from the earliest sources' which is a biography of the prophet by martin lings. (there are two primary sources of religion for muslims the quran, and the prophets actions/speech). i hope by reading these two you will be well on your way to a better understanding.

peace :)